Skip to content

Immigration Requirements

Immigration Requirements

As part of the Glavin Office of Multicultural & International Education, International Students and Scholars Services (ISSS) assists individuals who need a student visa to enter the United States. Upon acceptance and completion of the necessary financial support documents, students will receive a Form DS-2019, which must be submitted to the US Consulate or Embassy in the student’s home country, along with the visa application and other required documents needed to obtain a J-1 Exchange Visitor Student Visa.

Most international exchange students are required to apply for J-1 status.  Please visit ISSS's website to begin the process of requesting a Form DS-2019.  Further information about requesting a Form DS-2019 and applying for a J-1 student visa may be found on ISSS's website under the "New International Students" tab on the left hand navigation bar. 

Health and Insurance Requirements

Students who study in the United States on a J-1 Exchange Visitor Student Visa are obligated by law to comply with certain immunization and insurance requirements:

Immunization Requirements
All participants in the Babson College International Student Exchange Program are required to provide proof of specific immunizations and a full health history. Once your application is accepted, you will receive information from the Office of Health Services regarding the required documentation.

Insurance Requirements
As a student at Babson, all exchange program participants are required to be covered by a comprehensive health insurance plan which meets the Massachusetts State requirements, as well as the federal J-1 regulations for health insurance coverage. All exchange students will be automatically enrolled in Babson's Student Health Insurance Plan, which is administered by University Health Plans, unless a student provides proof of alternative coverage that meets both the Massachusetts State requirements and federal J-1 regulations and a waiver is granted.

To learn more about the health care requirements and the waiver information, please visit the Office of Health Services website. Please note that one of the requirements to waive the Babson's Student Health Insurance Plan is that the health insurance coverage must be provided by an insurance provider that is headquartered in the United States; a U.S. claims payer does not qualify for a waiver. Unless a waiver is granted, all exchange students will be automatically enrolled in the Babson health insurance plan.